Sorry for the big, long absence. The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of cleaning, hauling, sorting, and storing. Although we’re far from finished unpacking – all the basics are in place and normal life is slowly creeping back into my day.
I just can’t tell you how excited I am to be here. We’ve spent the last five years moving from rental home to rental home always hoping to find a place we could settle. Thanks to my hard-working husband and countless blessings from above, I think we’ve finally arrived. It’s not big or fancy but it’s ours (well, ours and the bank’s).
There are lots of things I love about it but I’ll list just a few.
- It sits on top of a mountain…literally. Here’s the view from my office window (yep, I said MY office – it only took me 12 years of marriage to get a space all to myself). You can see this magnificent view from the family room, the bedrooms, and the kitchen so the whole house is loaded with natural light. Plus, it’s absolutely breathtaking at night.
- All the bedrooms and the laundry room are on the top floor. I can’t even tell you how happy this makes me. The only washables I ever have to haul upstairs are dishtowels. Hooray for me!
- It has a great big play room upstairs too so my little guys have a place to play while I work and so my big kids have a place to hang out with their friends. Love it.
- It was a foreclosure so we got a great deal – plus the bank had gutted it and put in new appliances and paint.
- It feels like home. It was the first house we walked through and although it had been vacant for 9 months, I could totally see it’s potential. As I’m slowly unpacking our boxes and putting our things in their new spots it’s finally sinking in that this is our home.
The first night we moved in I collapsed in a heap on the family room floor and just listened to my kids run around. I love that sound. The sound of kids running, playing and laughing. It was like the first warm day of Spring when all the kids in the neighborhood venture out of their winter hideaways and fill the streets with the noises of summer. Don’t you just love that day? Well that’s what my house feels like. Like I’ve been cooped up for years and can now stretch out and enjoy the long, happy season ahead. Sorry, I know that sounds incredibly cheesy but I can’t help myself.
I can’t wait to show you around. I’ll be posting a few details about the house this week and clue you in on a few of the renovation ideas I have spinning in my brain. It should be a fun, new season here on MeckMom. Thanks for sticking with me.