Tech Tuesday: My Favorite Spelling AppPosted by MeckMom on Apr 12, 2011 in Popular Posts: Tech Tips, Recent Posts | 1 comment
Between my 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grader we tackle about 60 spelling words a week. Add on the 30+ vocabulary words and you can see why I started searching for spelling apps almost immediately after getting my iPad. After trying a few, I finally found one that worked. It’s called Spellboard.
Here are a few of the things I like about it…
- It can work with multiple users so I can manage the spelling lists for each of my kids
- Using the built-in iPad microphone I can record the pronunciation of the spelling words and simple phrases, no hard-to-understand computer-generated voices
- The ‘dry-erase board’ feature helps them practice writing the words (not just spelling them)
- The test mode allows them to listen to the recorded word, hear the phrase, and read a definition before they try to spell it
All those features are great, but these two are my favorites…
- The app keeps track of every minute they practice spelling – so I can tell how much they’ve studied over the course of the week
- It also keeps track of their practice test scores and the words they’ve missed so I know which words to focus on when we practice together on the night before their test
At $4.99 this app is a little more pricey than most. Of course if you add up all the hours of hands-on spelling practice I’m saving myself – it’s totally worth the price. I only wish I’d found it sooner. Just thought I’d pass it on.