Fire-Free S’more Rice Krispie Treat RecipePosted by MeckMom on May 26, 2010 in Popular Posts: Recipes | 4 comments
Don’t you just love the beginning of summer? Almost overnight the stores are suddenly stocked with red-check tablecloths, freezer pops, hot dogs and boatloads of these…
I just can’t help myself. We don’t even have a fire pit but somehow I couldn’t stop my hands from adding these scrumptious s’more supplies to my cart last week. Of course, once I got home I had to think of a way to use them. I thought to myself, hmm…rice krispies are good with marshmallows, graham crackers are good with marshmallows, and everything’s good with chocolate…maybe I could mix it all together. Luckily I had a box of generic rice krispies in my pantry so this impromptu rice krispie concoction was easy to create. The end result looked something like this…
I’ve always been a rice krispie treat fan, but this variation was down-right delicious. I’m sorry I don’t have pictures of the process but I was just throwing things in as I went so I didn’t have time to measure or grab a camera. Honestly, it’s so simple you don’t really need a tutorial. Here’s the basic idea (keep in mind I’m estimating the quantities I used so feel free to adapt the amounts to your liking).
3 tbsp butter
1 regular bag of large marshmallows
5 cups of rice krispie cereal
1 1/4 cup roughly smashed graham crackers
1 Hershey bar coarsely broken into pieces
- Roughly smash your graham crackers in a large ziploc bag (my kids used a rolling pin). The goal here is to get small chunks (about the size of a dime or less), not just crumbs.
- Break up your Hershey bar while it’s in the wrapper. Again, you’re going for small chunks.
- Melt your butter in a large saucepan on low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Add rice krispies and graham cracker chunks and stir until evenly coated.
- Add chocolate pieces and stir (the chocolate will melt into the mixture)
- Press the mixture into a 13″x9″ baking pan coated with cooking spray and allow to cool.
My family devoured these…literally. We didn’t even wait for them to cool – we just dug right in to the chocolately, gooey goodness. If you’re looking for a sure-fire way to usher in summer (without actually building a fire) you should definitely give this recipe a try. Just thought I’d pass it on.
Hungry for a few more S’more ideas? Check out these fabulous sites…